Boating Safety

The LMPA and the VT State Police Marine Division have a history of co-sponsoring annual safe boating and boater certification workshops. We are committed to continue raising awareness of safe boating practices so all can enjoy lake activities. We will post this year’s dates on the website calendar as soon as they are scheduled.

Do you need Vermont Boating education?


You need education if you were born after Jan. 1, 1974, and will be operating a motorized vessel or PWC in Vermont.

You must be at least 12 years old to take this online course.

You must be a resident of Vermont to take the online course.


Boating education is currently required in several U.S. states and Canadian provinces.

Age and Operator Restrictions

No one under 10 years of age may receive a certificate.

Those under 12 years of age must take a classroom course.


Vermont law enforcement officers patrol the waterways to make your boating experience safe and pleasant. Cooperate with them by following the laws and guidelines.

Carry the Card: Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.

Penalty: Not carrying your Boater Education Card when one is required can result in a fine.

Is the Boating Card the same as the Boating License?

The Vermont Boating Safety Education Certification Card is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved Boating safety course and allows you to go boating. Because the Boating education card or certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Vermont Boating License.

Even if not required by law to get the Vermont boating education card, many boaters take the boat safety course in order to save on their PWC or boat insurance.

Do your part to make boating in Vermont an enjoyable pastime! Become an educated, responsible boater by completing the Boat Vermont course, and practice what you learn.


All states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

For more information or to sign up for the Vermont online course click here.

ID Reminder: 

Please be sure that items you leave at your shoreline have your name on them.  Lightweight boats and dock sections often fall prey to windy weather.  A simple way to label items is to recycle beach or dump passes and affix them to items near the shore.