The Town of Fairlee was founded in 1761, and encompasses the Village of Ely as well as Fairlee. The year-round population is 977.

Stay informed – Subscribe to the Fairlee community listserv

All Emergencies - Dial 911

Sign up for CODE RED to receive Emergency Notification

• Missing Children • Emergency Preparedness • Emergency Evacuation Notices •
• Wildfires • Public Health Crisis • Criminal Activity • Cyanobacteria Events •

Town Offices

75 Town Common Road | P.O. Box 95, Fairlee, VT 05045 | www.

Town Clerks Hours: Mon, Tue, Weds, Thurs  8:30am–3:30pm | Fri 9:00am–12:00pm or by appointment (all other department – hours listed online).

All Town Offices: 802.333.4363

Town Administrator x2
Town Clerk x1
Treasurer x4
Lister  x5   
Zoning  x3 


Fairlee Public Library
Hours: Sun/M Closed  |  T 9 to 5  |  W 1 to 7  | Th/F  1 to 5  |  Sat  9 to 12

Fairlee Community Arts

Historical Society


Vermont State Police Headquarters  802-244-8727

Fairlee Police Services   802-333-4363 x6

Volunteer Fire Department Chief             802-356-6708  

Town Constable/Animal Control               802-333-9018

Emergency Management Coordinator    802-461-8477

Game Warden   802-685-7813

Trash & Recycling           
Fairlee Transfer Station
Dump Road/Route 5 South
Saturdays 8:00 – 12:00 pm
Dump/Beach Pass Required – Purchase at Town Clerk’s Office for $10.00  

News and updates pertaining to Lake Morey:

Fairlee Unified Development Bylaw - Voter Adopted 2023

Under provisions first adopted by the Selectboard as an interim bylaw amendment and then adopted permanently by the voters last month, most soil disturbances such as MAJOR DIGGING, OR ANY EXCAVATION now require an administrative zoning permit.

Primarily this was done to put local eyes on an area regulated by the state but without actual enforcement on the ground, and the requirement to get the zoning permit is that the state has reviewed your project and if needed, imposed conditions to mitigate silting and phosphorus exposure which is a major feeder of the cyanobacteria blooms we are trying to control.
Before you cut the soil,  call the Zoning Administrator at 802-333-4363 X3 and he will cheerfully steer you though the process.
The bylaw reads as such:

“Except as provided herein, no land development may commence unless a Zoning Permit has been duly issued by the Zoning Administrator in conformance with the Town Zoning and Subdivision Regulations.  Land development is defined as the division of a parcel into two or more parcels, the construction, reconstruction, conversion, structural alteration, relocation or enlargement of any building or other structure, or any mining, excavation or landfill, and any change in the use of any building or other structure, or land, or extension of use of land.  No permit issued shall take effect until the time for appeal has passed or until the final adjudication of such appeal (24 V.S.A. 4449(a)(3).”

For the complete FAIRLEE UNIFIED DEVELOPMENT UDB, click here.

Zoning Administrator webpage, click here

New Conditional Use Provisions for short-term rentals

As you get ready for the season and the possibility of putting your house up in AirBnB, Vrbo or one of the other sites, please remember that the Town has recently adopted conditional use provisions to the Unified Development Bylaw that require short-term rentals that are publicly advertised to the public require a conditional use approval and then a zoning permit. The provision is as follows:

The DRB’s review of a Conditional Use Approval for the use of a dwelling for short term rentals shall apply the following performance standards:

  1. Dwelling shall be inspected and approved by the Fire Safety Division of the Vermont Department of Labor and Industry.
  2. Capacity shall be limited to 2 persons per bedroom approved under the ANR issued Wastewater and Potable Water Supply Permit.
  3. Applicant shall not advertise capacities greater than permitted.
  4. Short term rental usage of seasonal dwellings shall not exceed 22 weeks a year.
  5. The conditional use permit only allows the use of the property for legally defined use. Short term rental operators shall be liable for permitting and payment of fees, and limitations per licensing and permitting that may be imposed by Town Ordinances.

Further the Unified Development Bylaw defines this use as:

Short term rental — a publicly promoted rental for stays of less than 32 days of any residential home unit or accessory building that is not regulated as a commercial use or residential business or service.

Before you begin listing and booking your properties I urge you to make application for the use and observe the limitations imposed by the conditional use approval and the resulting Zoning Permit.

Please call me for questions or to prepare an application. Chris Brimmer, ZPED Adm.,

Short-Term Rental Application Packet