Vermont Public Access Greeter Program – Lake Morey
Aquatic invasive species – non-native species that cause ecological harm when introduced into bodies of water outside of their natural range – continue to be a great concern in Vermont, demanding our attention as well as our resources. Aquatic invasive species ( AIS ) are spread by overland transport of watercraft, trailers, fishing and recreational equipment. The most effective way to prevent spread is through education and equipment inspections to clean and remove potential invasive species “hitching a ride” on equipment. Preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species is far more effective and economically sensible than eradicating invasive species once they are established. Public Access Greeters educate lake visitors about invasive species, provide courtesy watercraft inspections and STOP introductions.
To prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species by establishing a well trained network of public access greeters who:
- Educate recreational boaters about the harmful effects of invasive species and what they can do to prevent spreading them.
- Provide courtesy boat inspections to encourage boaters to “do the right thing” to stop the spread of AIS.
- Stop invasive species introductions
Boat Access Greeter Duties
- Approaching and interacting with boaters/others in a welcoming manner
- Inspecting watercraft
- Identifying and handling suspicious specimens
- Collecting and reporting data
- Distributing educational materials
- Work with and report to on a regular basis members of the Lake Morey Protective Association and state officials
Greeters are required to attend a *training workshop where they will learn:
- Aquatic invasive species biology, threats to Vermont, and the importance of spread prevention
- Aquatic invasive species identification and hands-on workshop
- Access area rules and regulations, baitfish regulations, and invasive species laws
- Tips on delivering invasive species messages and interacting with the public
* In the past, this training has been a 3-4 hr. workshop held in Berlin, VT.
Sections of job description taken from Vermont Watershed Public Access Greeter Training Manual